Monday, August 26, 2013

Dog Love

Sasha with chest fur heart

This sweet heart appeared one day when our dog Sasha lay just so. She is almost 14, and age is catching up with her. She went deaf this past year and licks her wrists a lot from her arthritis pain. She also has trouble with her hips. One day when she was sitting by me I did some touch therapy. I put my hands on her old-girl body and she leveled herself as flat as she could on the floor, maximizing her surface area to receive the love coming through. Now she comes every morning for this tending. She also lets me know when she's finished. She sits up and looks at me. We're done, she says.

Anyone who loves dogs knows how present they are - how they don't think about the fact that they used to be able to hear or walk without pain. They don't complain. They simply accept each moment as it is. I feel the peace of this in Sasha. And who else gets soooooo happy just to go out to take a pee, or welcomes you home with a celebration even when you've only been gone an hour? Dog love. I learn a lot from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment