Thursday, November 7, 2013

Getting the Bird's Eye View



View of the Hoover Dam from the Mike O'Callaghan–Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge
border of Nevada and Arizona

On a recent trip to Las Vegas, we took a morning to drive to the Hoover Dam. I took these photos from the recently constructed footbridge that spans the canyon where the water exits the dam. I saw the heart in the top photo from a distance. Can you see it in each of the other photos? It's funny - it looks like a Vegas dancing girl to me. 

I'm reminded how different things are when we pull back and get a greater perspective. My mom once told me about a guided meditation where the speaker asked them to bring to mind a person or situation that was really difficult. Then they were led to imagine they were a bird gradually flying higher and higher above the earth, and to notice the change on their perspective on that situation as they gained distance and space. 

Sometimes I forget that I am infinite, that we are all infiinite, and I realize I've been living from a confined and limited perspective based in particular belief systems that buy into "not enough," "pain," or "struggle." When I can float back and up a bit and see the truth, I feel a deep settling inside. Remembering what I know. What a beautiful life task.

No comments:

Post a Comment