Friday, June 27, 2014

Your Brilliant Subconscious, part 2


This is our Joe Pie Weed. He lives in our yard and grows every year to about 8 feet tall with frothy purple blossoms at the top. He is about 6 feet across. And.. he's growing Love! :) I just felt like sharing him with you today.

Thinking more about the power of our subconscious to shape the world...see part one if you missed the basic premise. This info is particularly useful for parents and teachers. Once I began noticing the power of how I phrase things, realized I had some changes to make in my teaching. Part of my work at Willamette U is teaching voice lessons and conducting a choir. I found myself saying stuff like "don't take a breath here," or "don't sing flat on this note, altos," or "don't let your tongue go back in your throat," or a myriad of other instructions that, due to the way the subconscious works with images, were in fact encouraging and solidifying the very things I was hoping to help the students avoid. Instead I learned to use phrases like "carry the tone through completely here" or "sing in the center of the pitch" or "keep your tongue forward."

Furthermore, I became increasingly sensitive to the energy of phrases commonly used in music (and life). "Let's nail it this time!" or "Let's kill it!" or "We destroyed that piece," all phrases meant to indicate something positive, but the energy of the phrases is heavier and denser than something like "exquisitely beautiful" or "so full of perfection and power that it rocketed out of the stratosphere!" Granted, intention has an impact, and meaning to "kill" something in a good way may end up feeling good at some level, but all of our subconscious associations with words also have an impact, and as we know, the subconscious is a superpower. It's interesting to me that these common phrases all have an element of violence to them, a pervasive part of our culture. But it also seems optional to resonate with that, even subconsciously - not required!

It might be fun to watch your language patterns sometime, and notice how you speak to your children or students or just people around you. Or yourself. :)

Love to you all, in the infinite awareness that we each are, rockstars of the universe. So glad we're playing here together! 





No comments:

Post a Comment